Traditional Ngoma drum standing 46" tall with a 15" playing surface of cowskin for beautiful, rich tones. Enjoy the celebration of African drumming with this incredible hand carved collector's item. Each drum comes with a set of beaters and a professional padded drum strap.
The Ngoma drum, a freestanding wooden drum that comes in various shapes and sizes, is an important part of the emotional connection between the physical body and the emotional spirit in African drumming traditions. Ngoma drums are widely in use for many different rituals and celebrations today in Africa and around the world.
The term 'Ngoma' is, in definition, translated as 'drum.' The Ngoma has also been referred to as 'Engoma.' Queen Marimba, an African folk hero and god, is said to have been the creator of many African instruments including the Ngoma drum. Folklore states that the original Ngoma was created by an old mortar. The bowl was worn through, and rather than throw it away it was given to the Queen. The Queen attached an animal skin to the top of the mortar and around the body, therefore creating the first drum. Since that time, the Queen's tribe and their decedents have had the rhythm of the drum as a constant presence. The Ngoma is still a large part of the day-to-day life of certain groups in Africa, in particularly the Baganda tribe.
- Legally Harvested, Environmentally Sustainable Mahogany wood
- Average 15" playable surface, 46" tall
- Made from one solid piece of mahogany
- Comes with professional padded drum straps to secure the drum while you play
- Drum beaters included
- Thick cow skin head produces rich, rolling bass tones.
- 3 carved feet opens the base optimal projection of tones
- Lathe turned for uniform thickness
- Built-in groove that is custom fitted to lock the ring/tuning system into place
- Shells are kiln dried with up to 20 coats of teak oil to protect and preserve the wood.
- Low Stretch Alpine Nylon HTB 5 mm Rope Runners with Handle
- Shipped Insured
- Brand New!